Sales & Marketing Career
Sales and Marketing are the lifeblood of commerce and industry because no amount of production of goods and setting up of services are of any use without effective marketing.
The terms ‘Sales’ and ‘Marketing’ are synonymous. Both subjects relate to the expertise of promotion of products and services by using marketing techniques, market research, brand promotion and packaging.
Eligibility, Entrance Exams and Courses Required:
It is easier to get a job in marketing with an MBA, B.Com or M.Com degree. Some common corporate positions in the field are; brand manager, marketing manager, market research analyst, new products manager etc.
The basic qualification for MBA Course is graduation in any discipline such as B.Com, BA, B.Sc., BE/B.Tech etc.
Business schools have a three stage selection process for the students comprising of the written examination followed by a round of group discussions and then a personal interview. Common Admission Test conducted by Indian Institutes of Management; Management Aptitude Test by All India Management Aptitude Testing Service New Delhi; Xavier Admission Test by Xavier Labour Research Institute, Jamshedpur, Joint Management Entrance Test by Indian Institutes of Technology, ATMA by the Association of Indian Management Schools are the major national level entrance examinations for admission to management courses. For details, see the websites of the above institutes.
The Integrated Common Entrance Test (ICET) is conducted in Andhra Pradesh. Ranking candidates of ICET can apply for MBA courses in various universities and institutes of Andhra Pradesh. For details, see website <appsc.gov.in>
Top Colleges Offering Courses in Business Administration:
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore– Provides Post- graduate programs in Management, Software Enterprise Management or Public Administration.
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow – Offers Post Graduate Program for Management students and working professionals.
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur-Provides scope to pursue PG diploma in Business administration or Personnel Management and Industrial Relations.
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad- Candidates may apply for the Post- Graduate Program in Management here. ISB also offers a Pre-doctoral program.
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai-Offers several programs in PGD courses.
- Sultan-ul-Uloom College of Business Administration, Hyderabad-Offers specialized Management Programs in Business & Public Administration.
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam (AP)-Provides wide-ranging advanced courses in all fields of Administration.
*Candidates seeking Careers in Marketing should opt for MBA degree in Marketing Management with electives in Promotion of Products & Relationship Management or Sales Management.
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects:
With the emergence of more and more multinational companies joining the tide, opportunities for marketing professionals are abounding. Starting as a marketing executive, gifted personnel can go on to become marketing managers or product managers within a very short span of time.
Some of the leading industries in India which provide lucrative openings are Reliance, Tata, Bajaj, Hero Honda, ICICI, ABN Amro, Bank of Baroda, Birla Sun Life etc.
In business and industry, salaries are never openly published. Phrases such as, ‘Best in the industry’, ‘On par with the leading firms’, ‘Salary depends on merit’ etc are used. Also, salaries depend on the size and reputation of the organization. As a general guide the following remuneration may be expected by aspirants:-
- Starting salary of Sales Persons (Under-graduates) in indigenous companies: About Rs 7000/- pm plus incentives.
- Starting salary of Marketing Executives (MBAs) in reputed Indian-owned companies: About Rs 15,000/- plus incentives.
- Starting salary of Marketing Managers (MBAs) with 3-5 yrs experience offered by MNCs : About Rs 25000/- pm plus perks.