Administration is the art and science of management of affairs, especially in government or business. In effect, qualified Administrators are required to manage all enterprises, businesses and organizations.
Career openings in Administration are predominantly in Government departments and Public Sector Undertakings in the prestigious All India Civil Service Cadres. But more lucrative openings are available in the fields of Business Management, Public Administration, Medical & Hospital Administration and Education Administration.
Eligibility, Entrance Examinations and Courses
The path to the All India Civil Services is by qualification in the Civil Service Preliminary Exam (Objective Type) conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Candidates who qualify in the Preliminary exam will be permitted to sit for the Civil Services Main Examination (Written & Interview).Minimum educational qualification is Graduation from a recognized University in any subject. For further details, please visit the official website of the UPSC www.upscexam.com
Careers in Business Management and Public Administration require Masters Degrees in respective field from a recognized University/Business School. For admission to MBA or Post-graduation in Public Administration candidates need to qualify in ICET/MBACET in Andhra Pradesh. For details, see website <appsc.gov.in>
Careers in Medical/Hospital administration are available to medical graduates who acquire specialized degrees in Medical/Hospital administration..
Administration Career-Top Colleges
Business Management and Public Administration courses are offered by the following institutions:-
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore– Provides Post- graduate programs in Management, Software Enterprise Management or Public Administration.. ..
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad- Candidates may apply for the Post- Graduate Program in Management here.
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai-Offers several programs in PGD courses.
- Sultan-ul-Uloom College of Business Administration, Hyderabad-Offers specialized Management Programs in Business & Public Administration
Medical and Hospital Administration courses are offered by the following institutions:-
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration and Deccan Medical College offer a 2 year MHA (PG Degree) from Osmania University.
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences(NIMS) offers MD (HA) for medical graduates only.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) (Delhi) – MHA for medical graduates.
- Birla Institute of Science & Technology (BITS), Pilani- Offers an M. Phil in Hospital Management. .
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences(TISS) Mumbai offers a Masters’ program.
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore offers a Masters’* program.
Career Openings & Job Prospects
On qualifying in the All India Civil Services Exam of the UPSC, candidates are appointed as District Administrators, Foreign Service Officers, Police Officers etc
Lucrative jobs are offered to those who hold an MBA degree. MNCs provide huge career options to bright candidates as Managers.
Excellent prospects are open to those taking courses in Medical/ Hospital Administration in big corporate hospitals.
Administration Career Salaries
All India Civil Service Cadres: Appointed in Selection Grade (Junior Scale) at the start of their career, they will draw a salary of Rs 30,000/- pm. At the time of their retirement in Selection Grade Scale they will draw a salary of Rs 80,000/- pm.
In Business & Commerce the salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications, prestige of educational institute and the standing of the organization. A fresh MBA degree holder can expect a salary of Rs. 8,000 to 10,000/- per month. Depending on his/her talent, experience and communication skills it may go up to 40,000 to 50,000 per month.
Non-medical administrators could start as executives with compensation package of approx Rs. 10,000/- pm and go up to the level of CFO, CEO etc drawing Rs.75, 000 – 100,000/- or more. Medical administrators could start and end with a positive differential of Rs 2000-5000 at the lower end and Rs 10,000 or so at the higher end than non-medical administrators.