Biochemical Engineering Career
Biochemical engineering is a branch of chemical engineering or Biochemical engineering that mainly deals with the design and construction of processing units that involve biological organisms or molecules, such as bioreactors. A bioreactor is a vessel which carries out a chemical process involving organisms or biochemically active substances derived from such organisms. Biochemical engineering is often taught as a supplementary option to chemical engineering or biological engineering due to the similarities in both the background subject curriculum. Its applications are used in the food, feed, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and water treatment industries. Industrial biotechnology is the application of biotechnology for industrial purposes, including manufacturing, alternative energy and biomaterials.
Thus, it can be seen that Biochemical engineers are required universally for the large-scale production of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, reagents, solvents, acids and more particularly, in the water treatment plants.
Eligibility, Entrance Exams and Courses:
In order to pursue a B.E. or B.Tech Course in Biochemical Engineering, a candidate must qualify in the higher secondary examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
IIT-JEE is one of the important entrance examinations for engineering courses.
A candidate must fulfill each of the following conditions:
- Can attempt JEE only twice, in consecutive years.
- Should have passed (10+2) or equivalent qualifying examination in 2008 or should be appearing in 2009, and secure at least 60% (55% for SC/ST & Physically disabled )
- Minimum age limit of 25 yrs as on 1st October (30 yrs for SC/ST and PD candidates).
Each State has its own particular eligibility criteria and entrance exams. Some famous Engineering Institutions have their own entrance exams like EAMCET for A.P, KCET for Karnataka and TCET for Tamil Nadu which are usually conducted in the month of May-June. Candidates should ascertain precise details directly from these Institutions.
Top Colleges for Courses in Biochemical Engineering:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai-600036
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur-208016
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur-721302
- Indian Institute of Technology,Delhi,Hauz Khas, New Delhi-110016 Ph: 011-26582020, Fax 011-26857659
- Indian Institute of Technology,Mumbai,Powai, Mumbai,Maharashtra – 400076 Ph: +91-22-2572-2545, Fax:+91-22-2572-3480
- Indian Institute of Technology,Guwahati, Guwahati 781001 (Assam) Ph: 0361-2697088
- Regional Engineering College, Durgapur-713209
- Zakir Hussain College of Engineering & Technology, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh-202002
- Banaras Hindu University, Institute of Technology, Varanasi-221005
- Andhra University College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam-530003)
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Faculty of Technology & Engineering ,Vadodara-390002
- Anna University, Sardar Patel Road, Chennai 600025 (T.N.) Ph:044-22351126, Fax:044-22351956
- Birla Institute of Technology BIT (Deemed University), BIT Extension Center, BISR Campus, 27, Malviya Industrial Area, Jaipur, Rajasthan – 302017
Tel: 0141–2751567 / 2751178
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects:
Biochemical Engineering is an all-encompassing engineering branch which has universal application in modern biotechnological industries. Biochemical engineers are required in medical, ecological and environmental professions and industries which are the hot subjects in the world today.
The average starting salary of fresher biochemical engineering graduates is about Rs 20,000- Rs 30, 000 pm. Graduates from elite technological institutions like Indian Institutes of Technology, National Institutes of Technology and Birla Institute of Technology get lucrative employment in MNCs dealing in the fields of medicine, pharmaceuticals, water & effluent treatment plants and environmental engineering pay a much higher remuneration than to graduates in basic engineering fields.